Thinking about what to buy for a new puppy can be scary – there’s so many things to think about! Luckily, we’ve created this ultimate puppy checklist to help you out.
This checklist will help you understand what you and your puppy will need at the start of your new adventure. In total, there are 31 essential items that you’ll need.
We’ve broken the checklist down into topics to show you the different things you’ll need to think about. These are:
- Travel, training and entertainment
- Toileting and care
- Home adjustments
If you’re thinking about getting a new puppy, you might be interested in these 29 Adorable Dog Names.
In one big checklist, here are the essential items you’ll need for your new puppy.
New puppy checklist:
- The right sized dog crate for getting your pup into a sleeping routine. It also helps with everything from toilet training to separation anxiety, as explained in our easy guide.
- Blankets are a good alternative to a proper bed for the first few weeks as they’re easier to wash!
- Puppy treats to help you bond with your new dog
- Quality dog food that will keep your pup happy, full and healthy. We have a really helpful guide to the 4 best dog foods on the market that we’ve tested with our own cockapoo.
- Non spill food and water bowls.
Travel, training and entertainment
- Harness and seat belt. Did you know that in the UK it is now illegal to drive with a dog who isn’t properly restrained?
- Retractable leads are brilliant for getting your puppy used to walking on a lead. If they are refusing to walk, simply walk away as far as the lead will go and you can bet they’ll follow!
- Normal leads are essential to walking your dog properly.
- Collar – because even if you are planning on using a harness, collars are super convenient.
- Name tag. Again, this is a legal requirement in the UK – your dog needs to have a tag displaying its ownership information.
- Car seat and boot protector for when you have a wet or muddy dog to transport.
- Microfiber towel for cleaning your pooch after a muddy walk.
- Training treats that are small, valuable to your pup and healthy.
- Dog training clicker to help your puppy understand when he’s done something right!
- Mind-bending puzzle toys that stretch your dog’s mind and keeps it entertained.
- Puppy Kong stuffed with treats.
- Chew toys to help with teething. (Check out our 3 steps to preventing cockapoo puppies from biting at your hands)
Toileting and care
- Puppy pads – these are optional, but they are a quick and effective way of telling your pooch where to pee!
- Grooming brush to stop knots and tangles.
- Nail clippers that have an inbuilt guard to stop you from cutting a vein.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush to stop tooth decay and expensive trips to the vets.
- Detangle spray and conditioner that helps to maintain a healthy coat.
- Baby gate barriers to section off parts of the home. These are really helpful if you want to keep the puppy contained while toilet training.
- No chew spray for your more valuable items of furniture.
- Masking tape / painters tape is brilliant at covering up and hiding electrical wires from your pup.
- Odor remover helps to remove smells caused by little accidents and stops certain spots from becoming pee areas!
Hopefully this new puppy checklist has helped you to understand all of the things you’ll need.
If you’re concerned about the price of buying all these items at once, the most essential things to buy are:
Everything else can technically be bought as you go along.
If you decide to go down this route, though, make sure that you still buy all of the items on this checklist.
This is because, in the long run, these essential items will help you to save money – either by preventing damage to your home or by preventing trips to the vets.
If you’ve found this page useful, you might like our quick guide to choosing the perfect puppy name.
The content on this page may contain affiliate links, so we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post.
Top Amazon picks for our pooch
1. BEST SUMMER ESSENTIAL
We love: These brilliant dog cooling mats that keep our dog cool and relaxed the whole summer. They can be placed in crates, or our outside in the shade – worth every penny.
2. BEST DOG LEAD
We love: This ingenious shock-absorbing dog leash. It’s inexpensive and it’s a great way to keep you dog from getting injured.
3. BEST VALUE DOG TOY
We love: The absolutely classic KONG, made in the USA and pretty much indestructible! Make sure to get some KONG Liver Spray too for hours of doggy entertainment!